Kampong Kdei is an ancient bridge with the age of nearly 1000 years, located on Highway No. 6, the main road leading to Sieam Reap – the ancient capital of the ancient Angkor kingdom. The bridge was built in the 12th century during the reign of King Jayavarman VII. It is one of the few Khmer empire era bridges to have survived to the modern day.
The bridge is about 85 meters long, 14 meters high, and the bridge deck is about 14 meters wide. The bridge is a corbeled stone-arch bridge with many laterite pillars, similar to the architecture of the ancient Roman stone arch bridges. This is also the oldest and longest corbeled stone-arch bridge in Southeast Asia.
At the two ends of the bridge, there is a sacred 7-headed Naga snake statue worshiped by the surrounding people. The bridge body is quite similar to the shape of a snake and is considered the body of the deity Naga.
The bridge has 22 spans, all built of laterite without any binder. The bridge spans the river of the same name, Kampong Kdei. According to local people, this river is quite large, but due to alluvial deposits, nowadays, this river does not have much water, and there are no ships passing.
Over time and due to weather erosion, the bridge has shown signs of deterioration. The Cambodian government has built another overpass for use to preserve the bridge, and the Kompong Kdei bridge is now intended as a tourist destination.
According to Wikipedia, yeudulich.com and dulichdisanviet.vn