It is Metro Manila’s only electric power distributor and holds the power distribution franchise for 38 cities and 73 municipalities, including the whole of the National Capital Region and the exurbs that form Mega Manila.
In 1903, the company was established as Manila Electric Railroad and Light Company to provide electric light and power and an electric street railway system to Manila and its suburbs. By 1915, electricity generation and distribution became the main MERALCO’s main income generator, overtaking its public transportation operations in terms of revenue. In 1919, it changed its official name to Manila Electric Company.
In 1961, a group of Filipino investors, led by the entrepreneur Eugenio Lopez Sr., bought Meralco from its American owners – the first major American enterprise to be ‘Filipinized.’ During the decade that followed, the new Filipino management built electric-generating and distributing facilities at an unprecedented pace to meet the burgeoning needs of its franchise area.
In 1969, Meralco became the very first billion-peso company in the Philippines. In 1970, the Philippine Government made it a state policy for the government to own all major generating facilities. Meralco sold its generating plants to the National Power Corporation, and electric distribution became its core business. Meralco’s franchise area tripled in area from 2,678 square kilometers to 9,337 square kilometers in the first half of the 1980s.
Meralco, upon the request of the government, organized, started up and operated the country’s first elevated light rail transit (LRT) system in Manila between Baclaran and Caloocan.
Currently, Meralco manages a franchised area of more than 9,685 square kilometers, ensuring 55% of the country’s electricity output, moving towards realizing its vision of becoming a world-class energy solution provider.
According to company.meralco.com.ph, Wikipedia