The pharmacy’s history began in 1937 when Tomas Dy-Makao opened a Chinese herbal pharmacy in Naga, south of Luzon called Southern Drug. By 1950, the pharmacy began to supply Western drugs and expanded its business to the remaining provinces of Bicol, changing its name to Southstar Drug.
In the 1980s, the first Southstar Drug store outside Bicol opened in Metro Manila. By 2000, the Company became the first drugstore chain to fully implement a centralized POS system in all its branches.
In 2007, Southstar Drug is listed in the Top 1000 Corporations in the Philippines. In 2010, Southstar expanded in the Visayas region through its first regional branch in Samar. In 2011, Southstar Drug acquired 50 stores from Manson Drug which gives the company market leadership in Central Luzon.
In 2012, the company’s 200th store opened in Nuvali, Laguna, Southstar Drug was also listed in the Top 500 Corporations in the Philippines.
In 2014, the company becomes the first drugstore to use the Supplier Portal and Analytic, a web-based solution that allows access to information about their products in Southstar Drug stores anywhere anytime.
From just a small pharmacy selling medicines, Southstar Drug has grown and become the second-largest pharmacy chain in the Philippines.
According to southstardrug.com.ph and Wikipedia