Sarawak Energy’s history goes back to 1921 when an Electrical Section within the Public Works Department was set up to look after the public electricity supply, until 1932, the “Sarawak Electricity Supply Corporation” (SESCO) was established by the Brooke Government to operate the public electricity supply in Sarawak.
During the 40s and 50s, the company built Miru’s first power plant and supplied electricity to 15 locations: Bari, Batu Kawah, Batu 10, Batu 32, Bau, Dalat, Lawas, Limbang, Marudi, Saratok, Serian, Sibuti, Siniawan, Sungai Merah (Sibu) & Spaoh.
By the 70s, SESCO explored the potential of hydroelectricity by surveying the Colombo Plan and the power plant at Kg. Biawak, Kuching, completed with a capacity of 38.4MW.
Sarawak’s largest civil engineering project Batang Ai HEP was commissioned in the 80s, launching the company’s hydropower journey to create sustainable value for Sarawak.
In the early 1990s, Sarawak Enterprise Corporation Berhad (SECB) acquired a 45% stake in SESCO from the Government of Sarawak and in the early 2000s, SESCO became a wholly owned subsidiary of SECB and was renamed Syarikat SESCO Berhad. In 2007, Sarawak Enterprise Corporation Berhad officially changed its name to Sarawak Energy Berhad.
In 2008, the company launched the Sarawak Renewable Energy Corridor (SCORE) to leverage Sarawak’s abundant renewable hydroelectricity and natural resources to power energy-intensive industries and attract other investments to the region in 2016.
To date, It has 36 power plants, with an installed capacity of 1315MW, including 5% diesel engines, 25.6% gas turbines, 36.5% coal power plants, 25% integrated cycle power plants and 7.6% hydro turbines across the State. Major cities are connected through the State Transmission Grid of 275/132kV.
According to sarawakenergy.com and Wikipedia